On March 17, 2012 I gave a talk at Homer United Methodist Church in Homer, Georgia for the “Lenten Day Apart” celebrated by United Methodist Women in the Gainesville District. I was asked to share specifically about my 9/11 healing, and to work with the Scripture theme of the event: Isaiah 43:18-19. Here is the outline from that talk, and I will fill in the details as I have time. The Scripture from Isaiah 43:18-19 is amazing. Read that if nothing else!
· Alive for me through 9/11
· v. 18 – don’t have to stay locked in painful experiences
· v. 19 – God promises unspeakable joy! (1 Peter 1:8; here: v. 19)
· Pre-9/11 – head not heart
9/11 Story (Read my testimony on the Center for Inner Healing website on the Testimony page)
Shut down – 10 years
· Isaiah 43:18-19
o Able to apply externally, like poultice
How I survived
o But not internally (heart)
Needed to thrive
· What happens (trauma v. pain)
· Jesus completes process!!!
· v. 19 – Jesus re-establishes channels to connect with joy center!!!
· Available to all
· We all need deeper peace (John 14:27)
· In His presence, God fills us with HIS peace (not the world’s)
o And He shows us what’s blocking
· “Lord, I make a heart invitation for You to be here with me. Help me to perceive Your presence and establish a living, interactive connection with You in the present.”
My 9/11 Healing
· Session with prayer ministry session (started with “heart invitation” prayer)
· Jesus knows MY pain
· After session – Looking for Jesus at Ground Zero
o “The place of my greatest desolation has now become the place of my greatest attraction” (v. 19)
· 10 years shut down – complete healing in 45 minutes
o Exchanged old ways of coping (v. 18) with new ways of truly living in His presence (v. 19) (also John 15)
What Does This Mean For You?
· We all need more of His peace
· Learn to practice presence
· Everyday life – where’s Jesus?
o Little girl at barbecue
o And praying as it occurs (accidents, kids, pets)
o When you’ve lost all, you have to draw from God
o He invites us all to do this (Galatians 2:20) – dying to self, depending on Him alone
Fellowship of suffering (1 Peter 4:13) – authentic
o It’s often the little things that block us most from God’s peace and from a deeper relationship with Him.
· Praying for those who’ve had trauma
· What if you haven’t had major trauma?
· And we all have trauma of some sort, just by being alive
5-Minute Silence (Practicing God’s Presence)
Scripture Verses (NKJV)
1 Peter 1:8
1 Peter 4:13